Sunday, December 5, 2010

Dismantling the Place

Now that the hardest work is done I can move onto the first and second floor. My plan is to dismantle and restore everything I can, like the fans in the bathrooms and kitchen, they are original and from the 50's,  Aaron from Mc Chesney electric has been rebuilding them for me. Hes great and has taken the time to make them like new. The medicine cabinets have been removed, the trim is stainless and in great condition, I'll remove and have the cabinets powder coated white. The glass shelves are that beautiful wavy textured green glass you don't see anymore. I just had to clean them and wrap until the cabinets are restored.

 I removed all the register covers,  then sand blasted, primed and painted them a semi gloss black.

 

 Removing the doors was a challenge because I was worried I would strip the screw heads, only broke one that I'll have to drill out. Brought all the hinges home still working on getting the paint off and either going to polish or consider re-plating. I saw a picture that someone took of their hinges re-plated, they looked great!















Besides the recessed lighting throughout, there is only one ceiling light in the downstairs bathroom. It's all plaster, so it might be hard to install overhead lighting. In the fixture in the downstairs bathroom the trim ring was painted over, it looked like it had a plastic piece over the bulbs. Later I found it was glass, just had never been cleaned. Nice ribbed glass, hard to find these days stripped the paint from the trim ring found it to be stainless. More than anything when I refurbish a home it's the uncovering I find so enjoyable. My other home is 1917, completely different aesthetic, but I found the experience of uncovering and re-new gratifying. 




No comments:

Post a Comment