Sunday, December 5, 2010

Basement Nearly Complete

Finally after much work the basement is nearly complete. This was a huge task to say the least. I spent a great deal of time cleaning, painting and dealing with the floor. First, I had decided to go with a solid gray color epoxy floor, but saw that it showed everything. Here are photos of the gray epoxy and the prep work.


 After seeing the gray I decided to go with the flecks, I chose blue, black, white and gray flecks. It made a huge difference and I'm much happier with the end result. It's not that I don't like the gray, it's that it showed everything, the flecks make the floor appear clean all the time.



Close up of the flecks, it makes for a great looking floor.



 



I had no choice but to replace the basement windows, once open I could not shut them. I wanted to keep the same look but due to the cost, I just couldn't see spending $1700-1800 on two windows, here are images of the new glass block windows. I'm happy with them, the cooperative has to approve everything that's done in the units to insure that there is consistency through out the complex being historic.
 My friend Donn W is pretty handy and jumps at the opportunity to play with anything electrical. He was good enough to install my light fixtures. There's still some electrical to run, also a gas line for the dryer and up to the kitchen for cooking. The units are wired for 220, I'll be switching to gas. In regards to the gas line being run to the kitchen and over to the dryer, the cooperative requires that this type of work be approved by the board. They also prefer you using their contractors, which make sense, It's probably a good idea for that type of work to keep it with the folks that know these building.

These are the light fixtures I selected for the basement, an industrial look, also works well with the coorigated ceiling. My friend Donn installed all my light fixtures.. He loves working with electricity!


 



This picture is the steps leading down to the basement. I stripped and re-painted the original color black. Planks not yet stained.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. What brand of light fixture is pictured here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom, I'm not sure of the brand name. Home Depot $25. easy to install..

    ReplyDelete