Sunday, December 5, 2010

Basement Floor Disaster (my bad)

What a discovery to find I've made the ultimate oopp's on my brand new epoxy floor in the basement. Standing there not wanting to believe it or knowing how to fix it I was just baffled. You see the staircase going up to the first floor and second floor is steel with a steel railing and wooden plank steps. It had been painted several times so I decided I would strip the paint. After stripping the paint I spoke with several people to decide, do I spray or brush on the new paint?. The overall vote was to spray. Well, I did but instead of buying a spray gun, I used spray bombs. Yes, Idiot!! Everyone I consulted assumed I would know, wrong! The ventilation system worked like a downdraft system and sucked all the over spray, and there was a lot down to the basement floor.
My neighbor Fred had knocked on my door when I was spraying the primer (seven cans) and asked What are you doing in there? poor thing was also getting all the fumes..... I apologized and left.  came back in a day, this time I opened all the windows and had fans running. I started to paint only the first to second floor railing and risers. I left and came back about a day later. Cleaning up the paper and making my way down to the basement I opened the door and to my dismay I discovered what I had done. Off to Home Depot I go, found this stuff called Lift Off it's for graffiti removal. Being that I had left the house for a few days, the over spray had baked itself onto the epoxy.  For the next three days I would spend on my hands and knees cleaning off the over spray. Luckily I was able to remove without any noticeable damage to the floor. 

still cleaning.............
A big thanks to my sister Katie who kept me fed and my energy level up with her wonderful left overs from Thanks Giving dinner.....oh, and lending me knee pads, my knees were killing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment