Saturday, December 4, 2010

Begin restoration Lafayette Park, Detroit, MI Mies Van Der Rohe

I started this blog with the idea I would use it as a place to document my work on the townhouse I have been restoring. Built in 1958 designed by Mies Van Der Rohe in area of Detroit referred to as the black bottom.  On September 9, 2010 I closed on a townhouse in Lafayette Park Detroit, MI. The unit was previously occupied by an elderly man who lived there from 1958-2010. Nothing had been done to the unit, everything was exactly as it was when it was first built completely original. Needless to say in need of much restoration. I've been stripping, restoring ever since. Trying to maintain the same integrity of the original layout and materials.
This blog will act as a journal for me to share and see the progress I am making. Any thoughts or suggestions should anyone have should please feel free to share by posting comments. I'll be posting in some what of a chronological order of how I am going about with the restoration. Also sharing the mistakes I have made along the way. Sometimes I seem to learn ass backwards, and cause myself extra work and a whole lot of grief.
    It's already December so I have a lot of catching up to do, mostly just translating images to this blog, I've been good about taking lots of pictures and notes. I started in the basement with the idea I would move my studio there, thinking my home that's for sale would appear larger. I use my current garage as my year round studio. After the closing I went down and started to clean. It took me 8 hours to clean the ceiling in the basement, which is absolutely fabulous corrugated steel. Love it! I also love the fact that it had not been painted, many of the ones I have looked at have been painted. First huge mistake, I did not use a mask while cleaning and got very sick from the dust and what ever else collected in fifty years of not being cleaned.
Here are some photos of what the basement looked like prior to me starting my work. Also the railing going down to the basement.
Gray cinder block walls, cement floor, rusty colored steel I beams and windows that would not close completely.

This is the utility sink (now removed) and the blue hot water tank.
staircase leading down to basement.

rusty I beam.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment