Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Stairs, Finally Stained, Oiled and Installed! At Last

Not an easy task stripping, sanding and reinstalling the stairs. This was a major chore to refinish the staircase, but I'm happy to have done it (now). When I first looked at this unit the staircase could have sold me alone. It took me a long time to do, but luckily I was able to take the planks to CCS and sand them. I had originally tried to sand them on the riser, but realized, I needed to do it right or not at all. So, I removed the planks and got to work.
Here's how the stairs looked prior to me sanding:
The baby bumpers were removed, I didn't fill the screw holes in case I ever decide to reinstall them. I find the staircase to be much more sculptural now without them. The risers were painted white, and the railing was black. I went back and forth about what color to paint, I ended up choosing black.
I worked for about a month striping away, at least it seemed that long.
Once the railing and risers were stripped and painted, I wrapped the planks with paper to protect them from all the other work I was doing. I wanted to wait until I was done with the major work to stain them. I used a pecan stain, it was the closest match to the original stain. Then used three coats of urethane to seal them.

The stairs installed and complete, I'm very happy with the final result.


No comments:

Post a Comment