Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rugs and Space, Keeping it Light and Modern.

Thinking about space Frank sent me a note to remind me to keep it light and modern. He went to see Rudolph Stingel at the MCA. He had an entire room of orange carpet. A lot of beautiful sculpture, paintings and other things. He strongly suggested I look into him, and understand his work.
The picture of him is actually an oil painting he did of himself. The picture of the hand is one of his works. A fully carpeted white wall, where I could indent my own images with my finger he did the same thing with insulation boards.






Reading about the penthouse Mies did on top of the two towers on Lakeshore drive in Chicago the owners used large oriental rugs on top of marble floors,  during summer months they removed exposing only the beautiful white marble floors.
In my current home all my rugs are oriental and rather large, with all my floors being black in the Lafayette unit, this may  get heavy.

My dearest friend Donn W just gave me this fantastic zebra rug, which will definitely be used somewhere, perhaps in the upstairs hall or the master bedroom.  I have several skins, mostly cow hides, still considering if I'll use or just take to the studio.


 
 detail of zebra rug...love it!!
One of the many skins I have...My thought was to use skins at one point, but not so sure here in the Lafayette unit. I visit Marfa Texas each year and the whole town is very minimal thanks to Donald Judd, skins are used everywhere, lot's of concrete floors and skins.
As far as my other rugs go I really want to use my large oriental in the living room, and the smaller one in the dinning room. After I get my library table laminated in pop yellow for the dinning room table, it will then be decided if I will use the rug downstairs or upstairs. I may need to consider a solid color. Shown here is the rug I will use for my living room, I curently have it in my dinning room in my other house.
 This is the rug in my kitchen in my other house, I love it on a black floor (this floor is rubber) It's a smaller rug so it doesn't seem too heavy. This will go in the guest room.
This rug will probably be used in my study,

No comments:

Post a Comment