Thursday, December 29, 2011

Dinner Is Served! The Kitchen Finished.

The kitchen was the room that required the most work. The ceiling had a leak from the bath tub above that had been left unattended for years. Prior to starting the restoration the gas line was installed and the plumbing and wiring redone.
What a feeling to be able to prepare a meal not from a microwave or eating on the fly.  A long wait, but well worth it. First, I had to go before the board and get approval to run a gas line, once my plans were solidified and settled on the final design I presented this to the board and waited for their response. I found out that only two of the cooperatives have the ability to run gas. After the first two were built they made a decision to run gas in the last two, luckily I live in one that has gas.
I decided to keep the kitchen stream line and simple. 
Prior to the remodel:
condition prior to remodel
post remodel






Nicotine patina...yuk. Like the other rooms just cleaning the walls was a huge chore.  
 

 
 

The pull down cook top that many of the units still use. Here in LP there like gold, I had intended to someday restore mine..maybe.. or not.
I had a table made to the same dimensions and restored the legs. 



Once the cook top was removed, I tried to preserve the table but ended up having it remade and I restored the legs. Alan Kaniarz made the top, he teaches at CCS, Wayne State and works out of Russel Industrial center. A fine woodworker and furniture maker.
The kitchen had a 24" built in oven for cooking any thing else was prepared on the cook top. The cabinets were aluminum, a small counter and double sink. Not a whole lot of counter space, but workable. I selected a single rectangular shape stainless sink.
Plans for the remodel: I decided on an IKEA kitchen, I used it in my last house and the quality was fine. With the one wall it doesn't leave a lot of space for storage. I still have to have my metro rack downstairs for large pots and other kitchen stuff. l did install a rod to in the kitchen to hang sauce pans.
The appliances were all studio apartment size. I went with a Bosch 18" dishwasher, a Bertazzoni 24" gas convection stove. A 28"x 75" Summit refrigerator . All very serviceable especially the stove.
 the installation begins...


Stephen Lee a friend and coworker did the installation, wiring, tile work and plumbing. Hes a perfectionist and does just about anything!
Steve hard at it!















Finished kitchen: It tool a little getting use to working in a smaller kitchen, but now I'm very with the space. Most important to me was to have a gas stove. I have a little table to eat breakfast sip coffee so the space works for me.
 I decided on glass tile for the back splash to visually open the space. IKEA faucet and stainless sink. The counter tops are concrete. Derek Peters Russel Industrial Center.

Because of the space I installed a rod to hang my sauce pans. I store all my large Le Creuset pots and additional things on a bakers rack downstairs.  Eventually, I will have a pantry built in the front hall closet and use for extra storage.




 All appliances were ordered from Speciality Showroom in Berkley on 11 mile.
18" Bosch dishwasher, very serviceable. 



Summit Refrigerator 28" x 75" 13.81 cu. ft bottom freezer in Stainless steel.
Bertazonni 24" convection stove. One of the best I have ever cooked with!

2 comments:

  1. Cal, this is fantastic! I hope you have an open house some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Just as soon as I get my dinning room table I'll have an open house. Want to have a place to put some food out for my guest. Many thanks, please feel free to stop by.

    ReplyDelete