Saturday, April 23, 2011

Re-thinking the Upstairs Floors.

Well I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, but at least it's done now. And I love when people say, I was going to say something, but just didn't. Tell me please, tell me! At first I thought I would just replace the guest room floor due to water damage.  I would restore the hal;l and two other rooms.  I kept looking at it, asking myself, why would I go this far and restore fifty year old tile?. With that thought fresh, I called my friend Shawn and he was glad to assist. Shawn has done both bathrooms and the rest of the house.  I  ripped the floor and gathered all the tiles to dispose of, he leveled and installed new tile to match the rest of the first floor and second. I love the way it appears to float.So easy to maintain.




4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Looks good! We need to do something about our upstairs floor soon (two types of ugly carpet and one room of bare original tile). I'm not sure if I want to encapsulate the old tile under hardwood or use a tile heater to remove them intact and remove the mastic too. Yours looks really nice and and gives me cause to consider spending the hardwood $ on some nice rugs. What brand tile did you use? I think that a previous owner actually cut tiles down to the original size on our main floor.

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, Thanks, Didn't see the reply until today. Call me when your ready, I have a fantastic guy. I pulled all the old tile, it's not hard just labor intensive. Personally, you get a much smoother floor if you pull up the old. My friend installed a floor over the existing and it looks like it. Thanks Sean
    cnavin@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. The floor is "Armstrong" classic black linoleum. Home Depot has it, approximately $33.00 a box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still thinking about it... I had the pleasure of visiting the Kemper Museum in Kansas City and now I really want to do dark end-grain flooring. One day...

    ReplyDelete