Friday, January 21, 2011

Searching for replacement parts, and sometimes getting lucky...Thank's to Ebay, Craigslist!

Because I've tried to maintain the original look, and also wanting to enhance the look with up to date modern materials I spend a lot of time searching. I'm routinely on Ebay and Craiglist, searching the Internet and just talking to people. Sometimes people let me know when something is available, I may have to do a little work but always well worth it. A friend from work and also the person that will be doing all the plumbing advised me of a auction that was taking place. Detroitmetroauctions.com handles Detroit restaurant's that are going out of business.  On it he saw a industrial stainless steel utility sink, which I had spent weeks looking for when I did my basement only to come to the decision I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a utility sink. They were $ 1200-2400 way out of my range for a sink. However, the bid on this one which happened to be one I had been looking at was at $ 35, so naturally I jumped on it. Off course it went for a lot more but still a steal, well within range of what I wanted to spend. Lot's of cleaning and it will be like new. This is what it looked like before I cleaned it:
Working on cleaning it now, starting to look like like new. Using Goo Gone and Magic Goof Off. It works like a charm, and makes this old grungy sink shine!













Another score was the downstairs toilet, an American Standard 1958 4043 2 piece toilet. The original toilet was a salmon color which will be replaced with white. Both sink and toilet.

The sink is a cast iron sink that also is salmon, I found a white new American standard to replace, on the same web site.
 This image is a sink and vanity from another unit I had looked at. It was in mint condition, where as mine was worn. The vanity top will have to be redone, and the sink will be replaced with the white one shown. It's a 20 x 18 cast iron American Standard.
This is also from the same site American Standard. It's very similar to the faucet in the upstairs bath. I'm going to replace both baths with this faucet.

No comments:

Post a Comment